SP asks Naveen Patnaik to take delegation to Prez on Polavaram project
Bhubaneswar: The Samajwadi Party on Saturday asked Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to take an all party delegation to the President to oppose the Polavaram project in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh.
"The project is against the federal spirit of the country as three states like Odisha, Chhattishgarh and Telangana are opposed to it," SP state president Rabi Behera.
Behera said though cases had been filed in the Supreme Court, the NDA government passed the Bill in Lok Sabha without waiting for its verdict.
Behera said unless the height of the proposed Polavaram dam was reduced, a large number of people would be homeless in Malkangiri district.
"Time has come for the politicians to different parties to come together and protest such an anti-Odisha project," he said.
SP workers demonstrated holding the NDA government responsible for passing a Bill in Lok Sabha paving the way for construction of the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali