Speaker removal notice to be taken up on or after March 23
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Assembly is likely to take up a matter on a notice served by opposition Congress for adoption of a resolution seeking removal of Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat any day on or after March 23.
This was disclosed by Amat himself during zero hour while confirming that Odisha Legislative Assembly secretariat has received a notice from Congress members for adoption of a resolution in the House seeking his removal.
"According to rules and procedure of the Assembly, the notice by Congress members will be brought to the House after 15 days. Therefore, the notice will be read out in the House any day on or after March 23," Amat said replying Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan in this regard.
Harichandan made his party`s notice public while drawing Speaker`s attention to repeated denial of permission by the chair to accept adjournment motion notices by the opposition.
Congress, which has on several occasions accused Amat of partiality, has handed over the notice signed by 27 of its legislators. As per provision of rules and procedures of the state Assembly, the matter can be taken up for discussion 14 days after the date on which notice is served and a minimum of 28 MLAs have to support adoption of such a resolution.
Harichandan said he was confident the party would get the support of 28 MLAs though they have total of 27 members in the 147 member House. Of the 27 Congress MLAs, Kotpad MLA Basudev Majhi has not been attending the proceedings due to illness for quite some time.
"Basudev Majhi might come to back the resolution. Otherwise we are confident of getting support from some Independent members," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees