Special trains for Rath Yatra in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: At least 63 special trains will be run for pilgrims during the Rath Yatra, the annual nine-day chariot festival of Lord Jagannath, in Orissa`s temple city of Puri, an official said on Saturday.
"The special trains will run from different parts of Orissa, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. These exclude the existing trains coming to Puri," East Coast Railway Divisional Railway Manager Sanjeev Garg said.
Special trains will also run to and from Puri to clear the extra rush of pilgrims on the occasions of Sandhya Darshan (evening prayer), Bahuda Yatra (return journey) and Sunabesa (golden attire) of the deities, he said.
Besides, 14 trains have been diverted and extended to Puri.
Rath Yatra is spread over the summer and monsoon months in the temple city.
The chariot festival is held during the month of Ashadha (June-July) of the Indian calendar. This year the festival will be held from July 13-21.
The festival marks the annual journey of three deities from the 12th century Jagannath temple, 56 km from here, in three splendidly decorated wooden chariots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report