Special trains for Rath Yatra in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: At least 63 special trains will be run for pilgrims during the Rath Yatra, the annual nine-day chariot festival of Lord Jagannath, in Orissa`s temple city of Puri, an official said on Saturday.
"The special trains will run from different parts of Orissa, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. These exclude the existing trains coming to Puri," East Coast Railway Divisional Railway Manager Sanjeev Garg said.
Special trains will also run to and from Puri to clear the extra rush of pilgrims on the occasions of Sandhya Darshan (evening prayer), Bahuda Yatra (return journey) and Sunabesa (golden attire) of the deities, he said.
Besides, 14 trains have been diverted and extended to Puri.
Rath Yatra is spread over the summer and monsoon months in the temple city.
The chariot festival is held during the month of Ashadha (June-July) of the Indian calendar. This year the festival will be held from July 13-21.
The festival marks the annual journey of three deities from the 12th century Jagannath temple, 56 km from here, in three splendidly decorated wooden chariots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets