ST-SC body demands 38pc reservation in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Samajika Nyaya Abhijan Mancha (SNAM), a platform of tribal and dalit people, had raised question on the sincerity of the Odisha government in implementation of reservation rules for the scheduled tribe, scheduled caste and Other Backward Caste (OBC) population in the state.
"Though there is provision of 38 per cent reservation for the ST and SC candidates in government jobs, the same ratio of reservation is not maintained in education," alleged SNAM president Akshya Kumar Mallik.
While ST and SC candidates get 38 per cent reservation in jobs, the ratio of reservation in educational institutions including engineering colleges is only 20 per cent, Mallik alleged adding that 12 per cent seats are meant for tribal students and only eight per cent go to dalit candidates.
Mallik claimed that though the former Chief Minister Biju Patnaik on August 3, 1992 ordered the government to make provision of 38 per cent reservation for ST and SC students in educational institutions, it was yet to be implemented.
"The BJD government in 2006 had also agreed to implement 38 per cent reservation for ST and SC students in education. But, the students of the two communities are yet to get benefit," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India