Staines murder case: Chronology
Bhubaneswar: With the Supreme Court on Friday
upholding the life term awarded by Orissa High Court to Dara
Singh, convicted for murder of Australian missionary Graham
Staines and his two minor sons, one of the most sensitive
cases of the previous century came to an end after 12 years.
Following is the chronology of events.
January 22, 1999: Staines and his two minor sons
Philip and Timothy burnt to death by a crowd while asleep in
their station wagon at Manoharpur village in Keonjhar district
January 29, 1999: Government of India issues
notification under Section 3 of Commission of Inquiry Act,
1952 setting up a Judicial Commission of inquiry to be headed
by Justice D P Wadhwa, Judge of the Supreme Court.
March 25, 1999: Notification of January 29, 1999 was
amended by another notification and the time for submission of
report by the Commission was extended to five months from two
March 26, 1999: Proceedings of the Commission begins.
March 1999: Case handed over to the CBI from the state
Crime Branch of Police.
June 21, 1999: Wadhwa Commission of inquiry submits
its report holding Dara Singh guilty of the crime.
June 22, 1999: CBI submits chargesheet against 18
persons in the case.
January, 31, 2000: Dara Singh arrested in a forest in
September 4, 2000: Charges framed against the accused
March 1, 2001: Trial in the case begins in the
district and sessions court, Khurda designated CBI court.
Feb 1, 2002: Mahendra Hembram, an accused says in the
court that he is the culprit and others are innocent.
April 5, 2003: Accused Dayanidhi Patra says in court
that he was present when Dara set fire to the vehicle.
August 18, 2003: Trial ends.
September 15, 2003: Court convicts Dara Singh and 12
others. Acquits Aniruddha Dandapat alias Andha Nayak for
September 22, 2003: Court awards death sentence to
Dara Singh and life imprisonment to 12 others.
May 19, 2005: Orissa High Court sets aside death
sentence to Dara Singh and commutes it to life imprisonment.
HC, however, retains life imprisonment awarded to Mahendra
Hembram, another accused, while acquitting 11 others.
Jan 21, 2011: The Supreme Court upholds life
imprisonment for Dara Singh by the Orissa High Court and his
accomplice Mahender Hembram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi