Stop construction on Mahanadi island: Orissa HC
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court on Friday
stayed all construction activities going on at the river
Mahanadi island at Hadiapata here.
A division bench comprising Justices B P Das and M N
Das directed Cuttack city DCP to personally go to the spot and
ensure that the work undertaken by a private company is
The direction from the court came while adjudicating a
PIL filed by city advocate Nishikanta Mishra.
The petitioner had alleged that the company is engaged
by IOCL to dig an intake well over an area of seven acres at
The petitioner had also maintained that the
construction work is in violation of the Wetland Preservation
Management Act, 2006.
In the meantime, several political parties and other
outfits staged demonstration and threatened agitation if the
work is not stopped immediately.
Orissa Jagaran Manch, an outfit headed by city
Congress leader Suresh Mohapatra staged a dharna in front of
the office of the Revenue Divisional Commissioner (RDC),
central range here and submitted a memorandum.
Cuttack Bachao Andolan Committee warned that they will
agitate from August 1 if the work is not stopped immediately.
Meanwhile, Mahanadi Bachao Andolam Committee (MBAC)
which is spearheading the agitation against diversion of river
water for industrial purpose, also upped its ante.
MBAC leaders Bijaya Mohapatra, Umesh Swain, Sameer
Dey, Nibeta Pradhan and others visited the spot and urged the
company to stop the work at the wetland soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'