Stop construction on Mahanadi island: Orissa HC
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court on Friday
stayed all construction activities going on at the river
Mahanadi island at Hadiapata here.
A division bench comprising Justices B P Das and M N
Das directed Cuttack city DCP to personally go to the spot and
ensure that the work undertaken by a private company is
The direction from the court came while adjudicating a
PIL filed by city advocate Nishikanta Mishra.
The petitioner had alleged that the company is engaged
by IOCL to dig an intake well over an area of seven acres at
The petitioner had also maintained that the
construction work is in violation of the Wetland Preservation
Management Act, 2006.
In the meantime, several political parties and other
outfits staged demonstration and threatened agitation if the
work is not stopped immediately.
Orissa Jagaran Manch, an outfit headed by city
Congress leader Suresh Mohapatra staged a dharna in front of
the office of the Revenue Divisional Commissioner (RDC),
central range here and submitted a memorandum.
Cuttack Bachao Andolan Committee warned that they will
agitate from August 1 if the work is not stopped immediately.
Meanwhile, Mahanadi Bachao Andolam Committee (MBAC)
which is spearheading the agitation against diversion of river
water for industrial purpose, also upped its ante.
MBAC leaders Bijaya Mohapatra, Umesh Swain, Sameer
Dey, Nibeta Pradhan and others visited the spot and urged the
company to stop the work at the wetland soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'