Strong action to be taken in hooch tragedy: Naveen
Cuttack: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Friday said "very strong" action would be taken against those responsible for the hooch tragedy, which has claimed 33 lives in Cuttack and Khurda districts.
He said this on a visit to SCB Medical College Hospital where he enquired about the health condition of hooch-affected people and saw the condition of the alleged rape victim from Pipili admitted in the ICU.
Accompanied by Health Minister Prasanna Acharya, the Chief Minister rushed to the hospital hours after Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) president Niranjan Patnaik and other senior opposition leaders met the affected people.
During the visit, Patnaik spoke to relatives of patients
and enquired whether they were facing any difficulty in the
hospital. The Chief Minister also suggested them to contact
hospital authorities if they require any more help.
Besides announcing a judicial probe into the incident,
Patnaik had announced free treatment for the hooch affected
The Chief Minister, who was earlier criticised for not
visiting the alleged rape and attempt to murder victim of
Pipili during his previous visit to the city, today went to
the central ICU at the hospital.
The victim has been under treatment here since January 7
as per the direction of the Orissa High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: This is the first Prime Minister-like action by Narendra Modi, says Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’