Strong wind, rains likely in Odisha due to `Mahasen`
Bhubaneswar: The cyclonic storm `Mahasen` is likely to intensify further and cross Bangladesh coast near Chittagong on Thursday night, with the local Met department forecasting rain or thundershower at many places of Odisha accompanied by strong surface wind.
The cyclonic storm over west central Bay of Bengal moved north-north eastwards today and lay centred near latitude 16.50 N and longitude 87.00 E about 430 km south-southeast of Paradip.
It would intensify further and move northeastwards and cross Bangladesh Coast between Khepupara and Teknaff close to Chittagong during night tomorrow, the meteorological centre here said.
Under its impact, rain or thundershower would occur at many places over Odisha during the next 24 hours, it said, adding strong and gusty surface wind speed reaching 40-50 kmph gusting to 60 kmph from northeasterly direction would prevail along and off Odisha Coast.
Sea condition would be rough to very rough and fishermen have been advised not to venture into sea, while Distant Warning Signal Number-Two (DW-II) are replaced by Local Cautionary Signal Number Three (LC-III) at all ports in Odisha.
Meanwhile, Odisha government has asked the administration in ten coastal and nearby districts to remain alert and vigilant to meet any eventuality, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Sushant Singh Rajput's Twitter commentary of MS Dhoni's innings at Mohali is a Must Read