Supply to over 15 lakh cyclone-hit consumers restored: CESU
Bhubaneswar: A week after cyclone Phailin disrupted power supply in several parts of Odisha, electricity was restored to most areas, power distribution firm Central Electricity Supply Utility on Sunday said.
The cyclone had devastated electrical installations in nine district under Central Electricity Supply Utility`s (CESU) area of operation, affecting 16.94 lakh consumers, official sources said.
CESU properties worth approximately Rs 270 crore were damaged in the cyclone with areas like Puri, Nimapara, Jagatsinghpur, Paradeep, Khurda, Nayagarh and Balugaon being the most affected, they said.
Supply has been restored to 15 lakh consumers and efforts are on to restore supply to 50,000 to one lakh consumers daily over the next few days, sources in the power utility said.
Out of 20 electrical Divisions under CESU, restoration work is almost over in 13 divisions. However, due to local problems, power could not be supplied to some consumers in these areas. Besides, there was difficulty in restoring supply to the flood affected areas, they said.
In the remaining seven divisions of Jagatsinghpur, Paradeep, Puri, Nimapara, Khurda, Nayagarh and Balugaon, power supply has been restored in almost 80 per cent areas and efforts are on to normalise the supply in the next two to three days.
However, supply to Brahmagiri area, which was ravaged by the cyclone, would take some more time, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!