Surprise agitation before Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik`s residence
Bhubaneswar: The police had a tough time here as above 50 people attempted to `gherao` Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik`s residence here during the wee hours of Monday.
Holding placards in their hands above 50 agitators belonging to Navnirman Krushak Sangathan, assembled before the main gate of Naveen Niwas, the residence of Naveen Patnaik at around 5.45 am and tried to gherao the CM`s residence violating prohibitory order under Section 144 Crpc.
They also shouted slogans demanding pension, proper price on agricultural produce and prestige for farmers.
"We tried to gherao Naveen Niwas as the state government has not taken any step for farmers even as the matter is discussed in the assembly several times," said Akshya Kumar of Navnirman Krushak Sangathan.
They were later forcibly lifted in police van and taken away.
The farmers body demanded Rs 5,000 per quintal of paddy, Rs 300 as bonus on each qunital of paddy, pension of Rs 5,000 for farmers and adequate respect for the agrarian community.
The state government, however, expressed displeasure over the Navniran Krushak Sangathan`s manner of agitation. "They reached before the CM`s residence without giving any notice which is not accepted," said Energy minister Arun Sahu.
BJD Chief Whip Prabhat Tripathy said it was Centre to declare bonus on paddy and not the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi