Suspension of environment clearance to Posco
Bhubaneswar: Terming the suspension of
environmental clearance to Posco`s proposed mega steel plant
as a "conspiracy", ruling BJD MLAs on Saturday asked the Odisha
government to clear doubts over the fate of the Rs 52,000
The issue was raised in the assmbly during the zero
hour when members of the treasury bench along with NCP
expressed concern over the fate of the proposed mega steel
plant near Paradip in Jagatsinghpur district.
"Suspension of environmental clerance to Posco`s
steel project is a conspiracy against the state," former
minister and Paradip MLA Damodar Rout said.
Demanding a statement from Steel and Mines and
Industries minister Raghunath Mohanty on the Posco project,
Rout claimed there was no forest in the proposed plant site
area as mentioned in the revenue record.
The state government had also announced not to acquire
private land in Dhinkia village due to opposition from
Another senior member from Jagatsinghpur district,
Bishnu Das alleged that the Centre was maintaining double
standard on Posco issue.
While the Prime Minister had assured South Korean
President about establishment of the project, its
environmental clearance had been suspended, he said.
Das`s colleague, Ananta Das said the National Green
Tribunal`s order was not binding on the state government.
NCP legislature party leader Amar Satpathy said as the
state government had been acquiring land for the steel plant
near Paradip, it should make its stand clear on the country`s
Satpathy urged Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat to give a
ruling on the Posco issue.
Chief Secretary B K Patnaik, meanwhile, told reporters
that the state government was yet to get a copy of the NGT`s
order on the Posco project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP