Suspension of environment clearance to Posco
Bhubaneswar: Terming the suspension of
environmental clearance to Posco`s proposed mega steel plant
as a "conspiracy", ruling BJD MLAs on Saturday asked the Odisha
government to clear doubts over the fate of the Rs 52,000
The issue was raised in the assmbly during the zero
hour when members of the treasury bench along with NCP
expressed concern over the fate of the proposed mega steel
plant near Paradip in Jagatsinghpur district.
"Suspension of environmental clerance to Posco`s
steel project is a conspiracy against the state," former
minister and Paradip MLA Damodar Rout said.
Demanding a statement from Steel and Mines and
Industries minister Raghunath Mohanty on the Posco project,
Rout claimed there was no forest in the proposed plant site
area as mentioned in the revenue record.
The state government had also announced not to acquire
private land in Dhinkia village due to opposition from
Another senior member from Jagatsinghpur district,
Bishnu Das alleged that the Centre was maintaining double
standard on Posco issue.
While the Prime Minister had assured South Korean
President about establishment of the project, its
environmental clearance had been suspended, he said.
Das`s colleague, Ananta Das said the National Green
Tribunal`s order was not binding on the state government.
NCP legislature party leader Amar Satpathy said as the
state government had been acquiring land for the steel plant
near Paradip, it should make its stand clear on the country`s
Satpathy urged Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat to give a
ruling on the Posco issue.
Chief Secretary B K Patnaik, meanwhile, told reporters
that the state government was yet to get a copy of the NGT`s
order on the Posco project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof