Swain files papers for Athagarh by-polls
Cuttack: Ranendra Pratap Swain of ruling
BJD on Monday filed nomination for the March 18 by-poll to
Athagarh Assembly seat.
Swain, popularly known as Raja and a four-time MLA and
former cabinet minister, was not allowed to contest the 2009
Orissa assembly elections from the constituency although he
was the official nominee of the ruling party.
His nomination papers were rejected by the then
returning officer. He, however, came out triumphant when
Orissa High Court nullified the returning officer’s action and
directed for a fresh elections in the constituency.
The Supreme Court later endorsed the HC’s verdict
upholding the order for a fresh poll in the segment.
Swain accompanied by a large number of supporters and
filed his nomination papers in the office of the Athagarh
sub-collector after addressing a public meeting which was
attended by two senior state cabinet ministers.
An independent candidate Anam Mohapatra also filed his
nomination papers for the polls during the day.
"We have received five sets of nomination papers on the
day. Four are from BJD candidate Ranendra Pratap Swain and
one set of papers from independent candidate Anam Mohapatra,”
said sub-collector and returning officer Trilochan Pradhan.
Opposition Congress has named the
candidature of PCC general secretary Suresh Mohapatra and BJP
has decided to field a local lawyer Bikram Dash for next
month’s by-poll but the two are yet to file their papers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400