Teachers clash with police in Odisha, 40 hurt
Bhubaneswar: At least 40 people were injured in a clash between non-government teachers and the police near the Odisha Assembly here on Friday, an officer said.
Police used water cannons, followed by a baton charge, to disperse the teachers after some of them broke barricades and attacked police personnel, pelting stones on them, Deputy Commissioner of Police Nitinjeet Singh told a news agency.
"At least 20 policemen sustained injuries. The number of protesters injured would also be about 20," he said.
About 5,000 teachers, including women, have been protesting in Bhubaneswar demanding salary at par with government teachers.
Although they had staged demonstrations several times in the past, the government has yet to decide on the matter.
Police said the protestors attacked the police first and broke the barricade put up near the assembly.
A leader of the teachers, however, claimed that police used force with no provocation.
Odisha has hundreds of private schools and colleges. The teachers at these private institutions are often paid a meagre amount as salary by the private management committees that run these institutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets