Ten convicted in arson cases in Kandhamal
Phulbani: Ten people were today
sentenced to three to five years of rigorous imprisonment for
torching houses of some people belonging to a minority
community during last year`s communal violence in Kandhamal
district of Orissa.
While justice S K Das of the fast track court here
sentenced five persons to five years RI for burning houses at
Bedinaju village, justice C R Das of another fast track court
awarded three years RI to five others on similar incident at
Both the incidents took place after the killing of
VHP leader Swami Laxmananda Saraswati on August 23, last year.
About 25,000 people fled their homes after they were
attacked by thousands of people who held the Christians
responsible for Saraswati`s killing.
At least 38 people were killed and thousands of houses, a
large number of churches and minority establishments were
damaged or burnt down during the riot.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?