Ten convicted in arson cases in Kandhamal
Phulbani: Ten people were today
sentenced to three to five years of rigorous imprisonment for
torching houses of some people belonging to a minority
community during last year`s communal violence in Kandhamal
district of Orissa.
While justice S K Das of the fast track court here
sentenced five persons to five years RI for burning houses at
Bedinaju village, justice C R Das of another fast track court
awarded three years RI to five others on similar incident at
Both the incidents took place after the killing of
VHP leader Swami Laxmananda Saraswati on August 23, last year.
About 25,000 people fled their homes after they were
attacked by thousands of people who held the Christians
responsible for Saraswati`s killing.
At least 38 people were killed and thousands of houses, a
large number of churches and minority establishments were
damaged or burnt down during the riot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH