Ten Maoists surrender in Odisha
Malkangiri: Apprehending police encounter, at least 10 Maoists, including a woman cadre, on Tuesday surrendered before the police in Malkangiri district, police said.
The Maoists against whom charges including murder, loot and arson were pending, deserted their camps apparently after realising that they could be killed in police encounter if they did not dissociate with the ultras, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said quoting them.
Besides, they were also fed-up with the ill treatment meted out by cadre from Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh in the camps and waiting for an opportunity to escape, he said.
While nine of the surrendered Maoists were militia members, the only woman member was a member of the cultural troup `Jana Natya Dalam` of Maoists, Singh said, adding they belonged to Raligada and Tekguda villages in the inaccessible cut-off area of Balimela reservoir.
Those who surrendered were identified as Puyu Jgara, Pullu Pangi, Rangana Butari, Mathlingam Butari, Prasad Rao Kusangi, Hota Itte, Chinabadi Ettangi, Ramna Thamarbi, Sahadeb Thamarbi, Ramarao Duri and Kokli Golari, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH