Tension prevails in Posco area, Cong leader held
Paradip (Orissa): Police were keeping vigil at localities in Posco`s proposed plant site near here following the arrests of a local Congress leader and a supporter of the anti-project group.
Jayant Biswal was held on the basis of an FIR filed by
the contractor, police said adding that Biswal was among the
four against whom a complaint had been lodged in connection
with the killing of a man on the half-built coastal road
linking Paradip and Posco`s proposed plant site area.
Besides Biswal, former CPI MLA Narayan Reddy, Posco
Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS) Secretary Sisir Mohapatra and
PPSS` women wing chief Manorama Khatua were named in the two
While one FIR had been lodged by Judhistir Swain, the
brother of deceased D Swain, another FIR had been filed by
Bapi Sarkel, the contractor who engaged workers in road
The police also recorded another FIR by one Mounabati
Das, a resident of Gobbindpur and an activist of the PPSS. Das
had named Bapi Sarkel, Babuli Ray, Papu Mohanty, Sashank
Acharya alias Theku and Raka.
Reddy, who was leading the PPSS after arrest of its
President Abhay Sahu on November 25, alleged that musclemen
hired by the contractor threatened people opposing the
With tension mounting in the area, police today
deployed about 300 personnel at different places of the
proposed plant site area.
Protesting yesterday`s violence, six non-BJD parties
today held a meeting at `Patana Haat`. The parties involved in
the protest meeting included Congress, CPI, and CPI(M).
While anti-Posco brigade under the banner of PPSS had
been staging agitation protesting yesterday`s violence,
local people blocked NH-5 (A) and Cuttack-Paradip Road halting
communication to the port town.
Local people are demanding adequate ex-gratia to
the family of Swain who was killed in yesterday’s violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars