There is illegal mining in Odisha: Shah Commission
Bhubaneswar: Giving full opportunity to mine lessees to express their views on shady activities in iron ore and manganese mining in Odisha, Justice M B Shah Commission on Thursday said illegal mining activities exist in the state.
"Unless there is illegal mining, there is no inquiry," Chairman of the Commission Justice M B Shah said on the second day of hearing here.
Noting that the commission was giving full opportunities to mine owners to justify their activities, Justice Shah said all were being given a chance.
"Those who wanted to say more are called to come to Commission`s headquarters at Ahmedabad," he said.
While the commission has asked Triveni Earth Movers Pvt Limited and others to attend a hearing on violation of Mining Concession (MC) Rules- 37 at Ahmedabad on March 16, some other mine lessees are told to appear before the panel on March 15, if they wanted to prove their points.
Earlier, several mine owners organisations had requested the commission to give them a hearing before finalising its report on illegal mining activities in the state.
Justice Shah`s statement was significant as the Odisha government has all along maintained that there has been no illegal mining in the state though certain irregularities have been detected. Different steel and mines ministers since 2009 have maintained this stand of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened