There is illegal mining in Odisha: Shah Commission
Bhubaneswar: Giving full opportunity to mine lessees to express their views on shady activities in iron ore and manganese mining in Odisha, Justice M B Shah Commission on Thursday said illegal mining activities exist in the state.
"Unless there is illegal mining, there is no inquiry," Chairman of the Commission Justice M B Shah said on the second day of hearing here.
Noting that the commission was giving full opportunities to mine owners to justify their activities, Justice Shah said all were being given a chance.
"Those who wanted to say more are called to come to Commission`s headquarters at Ahmedabad," he said.
While the commission has asked Triveni Earth Movers Pvt Limited and others to attend a hearing on violation of Mining Concession (MC) Rules- 37 at Ahmedabad on March 16, some other mine lessees are told to appear before the panel on March 15, if they wanted to prove their points.
Earlier, several mine owners organisations had requested the commission to give them a hearing before finalising its report on illegal mining activities in the state.
Justice Shah`s statement was significant as the Odisha government has all along maintained that there has been no illegal mining in the state though certain irregularities have been detected. Different steel and mines ministers since 2009 have maintained this stand of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!