There is illegal mining in Odisha: Shah Commission
Bhubaneswar: Giving full opportunity to mine lessees to express their views on shady activities in iron ore and manganese mining in Odisha, Justice M B Shah Commission on Thursday said illegal mining activities exist in the state.
"Unless there is illegal mining, there is no inquiry," Chairman of the Commission Justice M B Shah said on the second day of hearing here.
Noting that the commission was giving full opportunities to mine owners to justify their activities, Justice Shah said all were being given a chance.
"Those who wanted to say more are called to come to Commission`s headquarters at Ahmedabad," he said.
While the commission has asked Triveni Earth Movers Pvt Limited and others to attend a hearing on violation of Mining Concession (MC) Rules- 37 at Ahmedabad on March 16, some other mine lessees are told to appear before the panel on March 15, if they wanted to prove their points.
Earlier, several mine owners organisations had requested the commission to give them a hearing before finalising its report on illegal mining activities in the state.
Justice Shah`s statement was significant as the Odisha government has all along maintained that there has been no illegal mining in the state though certain irregularities have been detected. Different steel and mines ministers since 2009 have maintained this stand of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!