Third village says no to mining atop Niyamgiri Hills
Bhawanipatna (Odisha): After two villages in Raygada district rejected a proposal of allowing bauxite mining atop Niyamgiri Hills, another village in Kalahandi district did the same at the Gram Sabha held on Tuesday.
Though the residents of Tadijhola village did not belong to Dangaria, Jharania or Kutia Kandha tribes, they too claimed to be worshipping Niyam Raja as their presiding deity whose seat was located atop Niyamgiri Hills.
Of the 22 members of the Gram Sabha, 19 including 11 women attended the proceeding and gave their opinion on whether to allow mining atop Niyamgiri Hills.
"The people have clearly said they are not in favour of mining in Niyamgiri Hills," said Pramod Kumar Jena, the additional district judge of Kalahandi district.
Jena was assigned the job of supervision of Gram Sabhas to be conducted in Kalahandi district.
Besides Jena, the BDO and Tehsildar of Lanjigarh block attended the Gram Sabha to record statements of the people.
The residents of the Tadijhola, one of the 12 hill slope villages, were mostly of `Goud` community which come under OBC category.
This was third of the 12 Gram Sabhas to be held in hill slope villages of Niyamriri Hills.
Earlier, residents of Serkapadi and Kesarpadi villages in Rayagada district in Gram Sabhas held on July 18 and July 22 respectively had rejected the proposal of allowing mining atop Niyamgiri Hills.
Meanwhile, the state government has moved the Supreme Court seeking more time for completion of Gram sabha exercise as the apex court on its April 18 judgement had asked to end the exercise within three months.
"We have moved the Supreme Court seeking more time for completion of the Gram Sabhas," said a senior official of forest and environment department.
Though the state government has been conducting Gram Sabhas in only 12 villages, local residents, four tribal MLAs and even the Ministry of Tribal Affairs have demanded conducting similar exercise in other villages also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe