Those affected by Posco should get justice: Rahul
Jharsuguda (Orissa): Giving a patient
hearing to woes of tribals here, Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday asserted
that people affected by the Posco steel project must get
justice, proper compensation and rehabilitation.
He said development is essential but it has to be
ensured that people affected in this process must be
adequately taken care of.
"If Posco provides proper rehabilitation to the
affected people then we will be with Posco. If it fails to do
so, we will be with the agitating people fighting for
justice," Gandhi said during an interaction with tribals at a
youth conference here. Jharsuguda is about 400 km from
South Korean steel major Posco`s USD 12 billion steel
project in Orissa, billed as country`s largest FDI, was given
conditional clearance by the Environment ministry in May after
adopting a tough stand.
"Congress is with the people to provide them justice.
Development is essential, but the project affected people
should be provided proper compensation and rehabilitation,"
Gandhi, who has also backed tribals of Niyamgiri in Orissa who
had opposed Vedanta`s mining project, said.
He had earlier visited Niyamgiri hills in Kalahandi
district where tribals have been agitating against bauxite
Gandhi asked tribal youths not to tolerate injustice
and come forward to lead their own community with the Youth
Congress providing a platform for them.
"Leadership is lacking among adivasi youths. Do not
tolerate injustice, come forward to take the leadership for
your own community," Gandhi told in an interaction with youths
after arriving here from Kotpad in Koraput district, about 500
km from the Orissa capital.
He said while the Communists opposed development and
liberalisation, BJP only thought of development of rich. It
was only the Congress which always thought of common people
and their interest, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report