Thousands witness Lord Jagannath`s Rath Yatra in Cuttack
Cuttack: Braving sultry climate, thousands of devotees on Sunday observed Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath at several places of the Millennium city here.
The festival passed off peacefully across the city where elaborate traffic arrangements were made to ensure a smooth Yatra, the police said.
The Rath Yatra at the Chandini Chowk Jagannath temple and Patitapaban temple at Dolamundai drew maximum devotees, where the pulling of chariots of the three deities was performed on time. Chariot pulling was also performed at Mahanadi Vihar, Shankarpur and Raghunathjew Temple at Telenga Bazaar.
The chariot of Goddess Subhadra at Dolamundai was pulled by only women devotees. Although, this has been a practice elsewhere in the state, the Dolamundai ritual is unique for the fact that all the women devotees who pull the Darpadalan chariot here wear the sacred yellow sarees.
Other rituals of Dolamundai Temple were performed in accordance to the suggestions made by the Puri temple.
On this occasion, spiritual and literary organisation `Neelasaila` thought it appropriate to launch its latest creation `Jati Nandighosha` in the premises of the Dolamundai temple, which was released by district collector Girish S N in presence of several eminent persons of the city.
The other famous Rath yatra of the city at Chandini Chowk is being observed with minor changes for last two years after the district administration pulled down its Gundicha Temple last year at Belle View as it was constructed on Government land.
Like previous year, the district administration this time too allowed the temple trust to set up a temporary Gundicha temple at a nearby place to complete the festival.
The district administration is rendering assistance following a direction from the Supreme Court last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India