Three BSF camps set up in Odisha
Malkangiri (Odisha): In a bid to intensify anti-Maoist operation in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, three new BSF camps were set up in Kalimela area, police said today.
With the establishment of three new camps yesterday at Bhenjagwada, Gumphakonda and Chintalwada of Kalimela area, the total number of BSF camps in the district increased to 23, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said.
Describing Kalimela area as one of the core areas of Maoists, he said the new BSF camps would play a significant role in strengthening the battle against the ultras.
The opening of the new BSF camps came close on the heels of the visit of Director General of Police (DGP), Prakash Mishra to Malkangiri earlier this month during which he had assessed the ongoing anti-naxal operation.
It was extremely necessary to strengthen security and enhance presence of jawans in the area as the naxals have been trying to bring the entire region under their complete control, a senior police official said.
Since the entire area is covered with dense forest and full of hilly terrains, more number of security personnel would be of immense help in stepping up the fight against the red rebels, he said.
About 100 jawans would be stationed at each of the newly established BSF camps for conducting anti-Maoist operation, the SP said.
Options before the security forces were limited earlier and the BSF personnel based in Kalimela camp had to be engaged for anti-naxal operation, police said, adding now there would be considerable flexibility in their job.
Kalimela area witnessed a spurt in the activities of Maoists since March this year marked by gunbattles between the ultras and security personnel. Besides, women sympathisers of the naxals had organised a rally in the area earlier this month, sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference