Three elephants found dead in Orissa Sanctuary
Baripada: The carcasses of three
elephants, one with its tusk missing, have been found in the
Similipal Sanctuary in Odisha`s Mayurbhanj district with
poachers suspected of poisoning them.
The three elephants, a male with its tusk missing, a
female and a calf were found dead yesterday near Kantikana in
the Karanjia forest division, Range Officer of Karanjia,
Suryamani Barik said.
The missing tusk of the male elephant raised suspicion
that the three pachyderms were poisoned by poachers and ivory
smugglers, forest officials said.
A team of wildlife officials including a forensic
expert was sent to gather evidence.
There were a series of elephant deaths at the
Similipal Reserve last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen