Three IRB jawans suspended for excesses in Odisha
Phulbani: Three jawans of the India Reserve Battalion (IRB) were suspended on charge of misbehaviour and excesses at G Udayagiri in Odisha`s Kandhamal district, the police said on Sunday.
The disciplinary action was initiated against them by the local IRB commandant to defuse tension at the sub-divisional headquarter town in the communally sensitive district.
The jawans had allegedly assaulted and misbehaved with Army jawan Laxman Pradhan and his family members over a trivial matter yesterday. Protesting against the incident, local people had chased away the IRB men from the spot, the sources said.
However, after being informed by the three, their colleagues, camping near the local police station, reached the spot and assaulted the Pradhan`s family members and local people including media persons, he said.
Even as the incident was unfolding, power supply went off in the area and the mob turned their ire on the local electricity supply office.
Protesting the incident, local people had put up a road blockade using boulders and burning tyres.
Pradhan and his family members sat on hunger strike near Gandhi Chowk, the place of occurrence, today demanding action against IRB jawans and withdrew it after the disciplinary action was taken, the sources said.
Meanwhile, G Udayagiri additional sub-collector Pradip Rout had convened a meeting of local people, police and IRB to sort out the matter.
"Everything has been sorted out and the situation is under control," Rout said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed