Three Maoists killed in Odisha encounter
Rayagada: Three Maoists were killed in a fierce encounter with security forces in a forest area of Odisha`s Rayagada district, police said on Friday.
The gunbattle took place during a combing operation by securitymen inside Tureighat forest near Kirambadunguri village last night, Rayagada Superintendent of Police Rajesh Pandit said.
A joint team of CRPF, Odisha`s elite anti-Maoist Special Operation Group (SOG) and the police was carrying out combing in the forest when the armed Maoists challenged them, he said.
As the security personnel retaliated, a fierce exchange of fire took place with the ultras which continued well past midnight, the SP said.
Bodies of three Maoists were found after the encounter, the SP said, adding that some arms and ammunition were also found at the spot inside the forest.
A massive combing operation was conducted in the forest after the encounter in a bid to nab the fleeing Maoists, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32