Three Maoists killed in Odisha encounter
Rayagada: Three Maoists were killed in a fierce encounter with security forces in a forest area of Odisha`s Rayagada district, police said on Friday.
The gunbattle took place during a combing operation by securitymen inside Tureighat forest near Kirambadunguri village last night, Rayagada Superintendent of Police Rajesh Pandit said.
A joint team of CRPF, Odisha`s elite anti-Maoist Special Operation Group (SOG) and the police was carrying out combing in the forest when the armed Maoists challenged them, he said.
As the security personnel retaliated, a fierce exchange of fire took place with the ultras which continued well past midnight, the SP said.
Bodies of three Maoists were found after the encounter, the SP said, adding that some arms and ammunition were also found at the spot inside the forest.
A massive combing operation was conducted in the forest after the encounter in a bid to nab the fleeing Maoists, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon