Three Maoists killed in Odisha encounter
Rayagada: Three Maoists were killed in a fierce encounter with security forces in a forest area of Odisha`s Rayagada district, police said on Friday.
The gunbattle took place during a combing operation by securitymen inside Tureighat forest near Kirambadunguri village last night, Rayagada Superintendent of Police Rajesh Pandit said.
A joint team of CRPF, Odisha`s elite anti-Maoist Special Operation Group (SOG) and the police was carrying out combing in the forest when the armed Maoists challenged them, he said.
As the security personnel retaliated, a fierce exchange of fire took place with the ultras which continued well past midnight, the SP said.
Bodies of three Maoists were found after the encounter, the SP said, adding that some arms and ammunition were also found at the spot inside the forest.
A massive combing operation was conducted in the forest after the encounter in a bid to nab the fleeing Maoists, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway