Three Maoists killed in Odisha encounter
Rayagada: Three Maoists were killed in a fierce encounter with security forces in a forest area of Odisha`s Rayagada district, police said on Friday.
The gunbattle took place during a combing operation by securitymen inside Tureighat forest near Kirambadunguri village last night, Rayagada Superintendent of Police Rajesh Pandit said.
A joint team of CRPF, Odisha`s elite anti-Maoist Special Operation Group (SOG) and the police was carrying out combing in the forest when the armed Maoists challenged them, he said.
As the security personnel retaliated, a fierce exchange of fire took place with the ultras which continued well past midnight, the SP said.
Bodies of three Maoists were found after the encounter, the SP said, adding that some arms and ammunition were also found at the spot inside the forest.
A massive combing operation was conducted in the forest after the encounter in a bid to nab the fleeing Maoists, the police said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed