Three Maoists killed in Orissa gunfight
Bhubaneswar: At least three Maoists were killed in a gunfight with police and security personnel in a forested area of Orissa on Friday, police said.
The rebels opened fired in the forest near Bisra in Sundergarh district, forcing police and other security personnel engaged in anti-Maoist operation to retaliate, Inspector General of Police (operation) Sanjeev Marik told a news agency.
One of the killed rebels, who was an area commander of the Communist Party of India-Maoist, had escaped from police custody a few months ago, Marik said.
Bisra is about 530 km from this Orissa capital.
In a separate incident, Maoists gunned down a special police officer (SPO) in Kandhamal district when he was on his way to a police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!