Three Maoists surrender in Orissa

Last Updated: Friday, March 4, 2011 - 22:17

Keonjhar: Three hardcore Maoists,
involved in several offences including attack on securitymen, surrendered before the police along with weapons in Orissa`s Keonjhar district Friday.

The red rebels, identified as Sadhu Mahakud, Mahendra
and Marco, surrendered in the presence of deputy inspector
general of police, western range, Yashwant Jethwa here.

The three, active members of Kalinga Nagar division of
the Maoist outfit for last couple of years, laid down some
arms including a country-made gun as well as Rs 25,000 cash
while surrendering, superintendent of police Asish Singh said.
While Marco had been operating in the rebel cadre
since 2002 in close contact with top Maoist leader Sabyasachi
Panda and hardcore ultras of Chhattisgarh, Mahendra acted as
the body guard of senior rebel leader Sushil, he said.
The rebels were involved in the attack on police
establishments in Nayagarh district in February, 2008, Singh
said adding they were also involved in the attack on forest
beat house and several incidents of explosions and firing in
Mayurbhanj district and elsewhere.

PTI



First Published: Friday, March 4, 2011 - 22:17

comments powered by Disqus