Three women stripped in public in Odisha
Rourkela: Three women were allegedly stripped and paraded naked on a village road in Odisha`s Sundargarh district on the suspicion of practising witchcraft, police said on Tuesday.
The shocking incident took place at Ambapada village under the jurisdiction of Talasara police station yesterday after which three persons were arrested, they said.
The victims were dragged out of their houses and assaulted by some villagers who stripped them and blackened their faces before parading them on the village road in full view of the villagers.
A meeting was held later where the women were accused of practising witchcraft. Meanwhile, some locals informed the police about the incident.
The women were subsequently rescued from the village when a police party led by RN Padhi, Inspector In-Charge (IIC) of Talasara police station reached the site and took control of the situation.
"We have arrested three persons in this connection," said SP (Sundargarh) Sanjeeb Arora.
He said the villagers were trying to settle the issue amongst themselves when police personnel reached the village, rescued the women and arrested the three persons.
"I have instructed the IIC, Talasara to investigate into the whole issue," the SP said.?
RN Padhi, the investigating officer and IIC of Talasara said the arrested persons were identified as Prafulla Barla, Ani Baa and Sanjam Soren.
Nine years ago, in a similar incident, a woman was stripped and paraded on a village road. She was forced to eat excreta at Tainsar.
This had created countrywide outrage as representatives from National Commission for Women and the state visited the spot and took stock of the situation. Four persons were arrested in connection, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble