Three women stripped in public in Odisha
Rourkela: Three women were allegedly stripped and paraded naked on a village road in Odisha`s Sundargarh district on the suspicion of practising witchcraft, police said on Tuesday.
The shocking incident took place at Ambapada village under the jurisdiction of Talasara police station yesterday after which three persons were arrested, they said.
The victims were dragged out of their houses and assaulted by some villagers who stripped them and blackened their faces before parading them on the village road in full view of the villagers.
A meeting was held later where the women were accused of practising witchcraft. Meanwhile, some locals informed the police about the incident.
The women were subsequently rescued from the village when a police party led by RN Padhi, Inspector In-Charge (IIC) of Talasara police station reached the site and took control of the situation.
"We have arrested three persons in this connection," said SP (Sundargarh) Sanjeeb Arora.
He said the villagers were trying to settle the issue amongst themselves when police personnel reached the village, rescued the women and arrested the three persons.
"I have instructed the IIC, Talasara to investigate into the whole issue," the SP said.?
RN Padhi, the investigating officer and IIC of Talasara said the arrested persons were identified as Prafulla Barla, Ani Baa and Sanjam Soren.
Nine years ago, in a similar incident, a woman was stripped and paraded on a village road. She was forced to eat excreta at Tainsar.
This had created countrywide outrage as representatives from National Commission for Women and the state visited the spot and took stock of the situation. Four persons were arrested in connection, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport