Tight security in Kandhamal for Saraswati`s death anniv
Bhubaneswar: Ahead of the fourth death anniversary of the VHP leader Swami Laxamananda Saraswati, Kandhamal district administration on Wednesday tightened security at Phulbani town as precautionary measure.
"As followers of Saraswati plan to observe the VHP leader`s death anniversary tomorrow, elaborate security arrangement have been made," said superintendent of Police (SO) J N Pankaj of Kandhamal district.
Hundreds of monks under the banner of Swami Laxamamnda Saraswati Sradhanjali Smruti Samiti assembled at the district headquarters town of Phulbani and staged a silent dharna demanding arrest of all the killers of the VHP leader.
Saraswati and four of his associates were gunned down by unidentified miscreants at Jalespeta ashram in Kandhamal district on August 23, 2008.
The killing of Saraswati led to a large scale violence in Kandhamal where at least 38 persons were killed.
Maoists had claimed responsibility of Saraswati`s killing. The crime branch of police had filed charge sheet against 14 persons of whom four could be arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- 'Baar Baar Dekho' celebration of love: Karan Johar
- Mayawati herself insulted women community: Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar
- Women suffering from ADHD more prone to suicidal tendencies, says study
- Muslim man removed from flight after attendant announced, 'Mohamed Ahmed, I will be watching you'
- Russia Doping: A chronology of major events