Time to leave India, says Paolo Bosusco
Bhubaneswar: Freed after spending nearly
a month as a hostage of Maoists, Italian national Paolo
Bosusco on Thursday said that it was time to bid farewell to India,
while thanking the people of Odisha for his association with
them for 22 years.
"I am very sorry that time has come to leave India. My
work is finished. I must thank the people of Odisha for all
the love and friendship they have given me in the last 22
years," Bosusco said in English and in Odiya, in which he is
"I don`t know if I will return, but their love will
always remain in my heart," the 54-year-old Italian, who has
been operating as a tourist guide from the seaside town of
Puri all these years, told reporters here after being released
by the Maoists.
Asked if he along with compatriot Claudio Colangelo
had taken objectionable photographs as alleged before they
were kidnapped from Kandhamal district on March 14, he replied
"No, it is not true."
Stating that his health was fine, he said that he was
treated well during captivity. "It was a unique experience."
He also said, "I don`t know what is right and what is
wrong. I am not a political person. But I can just say that
everybody should leave violence. I hope my sacrifice will not
go in vain."
Colangelo was freed earlier on March 25.