Togadia on dharna after being barred from entering Kandhamal
Bhubaneswar: VHP leader Praveen Togadia
on Friday night sat on a dharna after the Orissa Police prevented him
from entering into the riot-hit Kandhamal district.
Togadia, who arrived at Charichowk in Boudh district,
neighbouring to Kandhamal, along with around 200 supporters,
was asked not to make any bid to enter into Kandhamal in view
of a ban on his visit.
Accompanied by his supporters, he then, sat on a dharna
and started doing `kirtan` at Charichowk.
"I am sitting on a dharna in protest against the Orissa
government`s undemocratic act of preventing me from going to
meet tribals in Kandhamal," Togadia told agency over phone.
Earlier, the district administration deployed police
and a magistrate at the entry point to the riot-hit town,
after Togadia announced to defy the Orissa government`s ban
Terming the ban as "illegal and undemocratic", Togadia
said it was not fair on part of the government to put a
restriction on his visit when they recently allowed European
diplomats to make a two-day tour to the communally-sensitive
The state govt has also imposed prohibitory orders under
section 144 of the CrPC on the movement of Togadia and other
VHP functionaries in Kandhamal.
"We have not yet arrested Togadia as he is sitting on
a dharna in Boudh district at the border of Kandhamal. If he
tries to cross the border, police will take action according
to the law of the land," Kandhamal SP Praveen Kumar said.
Kandhamal witnessed widespread riots from August 2008
till October 2009 following the killing of VHP leader
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read