Togadia on dharna after being barred from entering Kandhamal
Bhubaneswar: VHP leader Praveen Togadia
on Friday night sat on a dharna after the Orissa Police prevented him
from entering into the riot-hit Kandhamal district.
Togadia, who arrived at Charichowk in Boudh district,
neighbouring to Kandhamal, along with around 200 supporters,
was asked not to make any bid to enter into Kandhamal in view
of a ban on his visit.
Accompanied by his supporters, he then, sat on a dharna
and started doing `kirtan` at Charichowk.
"I am sitting on a dharna in protest against the Orissa
government`s undemocratic act of preventing me from going to
meet tribals in Kandhamal," Togadia told agency over phone.
Earlier, the district administration deployed police
and a magistrate at the entry point to the riot-hit town,
after Togadia announced to defy the Orissa government`s ban
Terming the ban as "illegal and undemocratic", Togadia
said it was not fair on part of the government to put a
restriction on his visit when they recently allowed European
diplomats to make a two-day tour to the communally-sensitive
The state govt has also imposed prohibitory orders under
section 144 of the CrPC on the movement of Togadia and other
VHP functionaries in Kandhamal.
"We have not yet arrested Togadia as he is sitting on
a dharna in Boudh district at the border of Kandhamal. If he
tries to cross the border, police will take action according
to the law of the land," Kandhamal SP Praveen Kumar said.
Kandhamal witnessed widespread riots from August 2008
till October 2009 following the killing of VHP leader
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'