Togadia on dharna after being barred from entering Kandhamal
Bhubaneswar: VHP leader Praveen Togadia
on Friday night sat on a dharna after the Orissa Police prevented him
from entering into the riot-hit Kandhamal district.
Togadia, who arrived at Charichowk in Boudh district,
neighbouring to Kandhamal, along with around 200 supporters,
was asked not to make any bid to enter into Kandhamal in view
of a ban on his visit.
Accompanied by his supporters, he then, sat on a dharna
and started doing `kirtan` at Charichowk.
"I am sitting on a dharna in protest against the Orissa
government`s undemocratic act of preventing me from going to
meet tribals in Kandhamal," Togadia told agency over phone.
Earlier, the district administration deployed police
and a magistrate at the entry point to the riot-hit town,
after Togadia announced to defy the Orissa government`s ban
Terming the ban as "illegal and undemocratic", Togadia
said it was not fair on part of the government to put a
restriction on his visit when they recently allowed European
diplomats to make a two-day tour to the communally-sensitive
The state govt has also imposed prohibitory orders under
section 144 of the CrPC on the movement of Togadia and other
VHP functionaries in Kandhamal.
"We have not yet arrested Togadia as he is sitting on
a dharna in Boudh district at the border of Kandhamal. If he
tries to cross the border, police will take action according
to the law of the land," Kandhamal SP Praveen Kumar said.
Kandhamal witnessed widespread riots from August 2008
till October 2009 following the killing of VHP leader
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27