Top Maoists chargesheeted in Laxmananda Saraswati murder case
Bhubaneswar: Three top Maoists were among
seven persons chargesheeted on Monday in the killing of VHP leader
Laxmananda Saraswati and four of his disciples in Orissa`s
Kandhamal district about two and half years ago.
The chargesheets for murder, criminal conspiracy and
trespass were filed before the sub-divisional judicial
magistrate`s court at Baliguda in the district after the Crime
Branch established prima-facie evidence against the Maoist
leaders, its Superintendent of Police RC Behera said.
The three Maoists were, however, at large.
"The top Maoist leaders remain at large. We are trying
to arrest five including the three," Behera said.
After the Kandhamal riots, one of the Maoist leaders
Sabyasachi Panda alias Sunil had claimed before a group of
journalists that the Maoist`s `Bansadhara division` had killed
With the CB filing chargesheet against the seven, the
total number chargesheeted rose to 14.
Earlier on January 30, 2009, the Crime Branch had
chargesheeted seven persons after taking over the
investigation barely five days after the killing of Saraswati
and the others.
Two of the seven chargesheeted today were in prison
after being arrested in some other case.
Saraswati and the others were killed at Jalespeta
Ashram while celebrating the Janmastami festival on August
At least 38 persons were killed in the riots that
followed Saraswati`s killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan had achieved nuclear capability in 1984: Abdul Qadeer Khan
- Pakistan able to target Delhi from Kahuta near Rawalpindi in five minutes: Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded