Top Odisha Maoist leader held
Bhubaneswar: Police on Tuesday arrested one of Odisha`s top Maoist leaders in the state`s Bargarh district, a senior state police official told a news agency.
Mahru Mahato alias Girish was arrested by a team of police personnel from an undisclosed village under the Attabira police station over 350 km from state capital Bhubaneswar during a search, the official said.
Mahato was the second in command in the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist`s (CPI-Maoist) Odisha unit hierarchy. He was a member of the state organising committee of the CPI-Maoist, the official added.
Mahato was wanted in dozens of criminal cases, both in Odisha and neighbouring Jharkhand. In Odisha alone, he faces about 30 criminal cases, which include several murders, abductions, extortions, blasts, arson and loot, the official said.
"We are seeking the help of the Jharkhand government to get details of the cases registered against him in that state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video