Tractor plunges into gorge in Rayagada; 20 killed, 25 injured
Rayagada (Odisha): At least 20 persons were killed and 25 injured, 12 of them seriously, when a tractor carrying a marriage party fell into a gorge in Rayagada district on Friday, police said.
The incident took place in a remote area between Uppar Anchal Bari and Hataguma when the tractor, carrying about 60 persons from Hiranpadu village, plunged into gorge after one of its front wheels broke on a hill top.
The victims, including women and children, were returning home at Hiranpadu village after attending a wedding at Seriguma village when the accident occurred, Rayagada SP Rajesh Pandit said.
"So far, we have information regarding death of 20 persons but the bodies are yet to be identified," said Tapan Mohanty, inspector in-charge of Rayagada Police Station.
All the injured persons were taken to Rayagada district headquarters hospital.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced medical expenses of the injured would be given from Chief Minister`s Relief Fund and State Treatment Fund.
He directed the district collector of Rayagada to shift seriously injured persons to a nearby hospital at Vishakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
"The district administration has decided to refer three of them to a hospital at Vishakhapatnam," said Sashi Bhusan Padhi, Rayagada district collector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed