Travel agency, coaching centres dupe people in Odisha
Berhampur (Odisha): Owners of a travel agency and two coaching centres have vanished after duping people of crores of rupees here, police said.
MM Marketing, a travel agency, collected Rs 1 crore by charging Rs 5,000 per person for a trip to Shirdi and back, before disappearing six months ago. It had promised its customers forward journey by flight while the return journey would have been on train.
The tour operator collected money from people of Ganjam, Khurda, Puri, Gajapati and Kandhamal districts. "We have sealed their office and registered a cheating case against some of its members. They are on the run," said IIC of Town police station A K Mishra.
Similarly, a coaching centre that had collected an advance fee of Rs 1 lakh per student for two years to prepare them for JEE has gone missing since the last year.
Claiming to be a Chennai-based coaching centre, it had run for two years to gain confidence of people. Their tutors, also outsiders, are also nowhere to be seen, said a doctor, who was victimised.
"After five months of depositing the fee for two of my children, the institute vanished one fine morning. The owner of the premises also did not tell me about them," the doctor said.
"We have approached police for action against the coaching centre owner," he said.
Another such institute operating in Hillpatna downed its shutter suddenly last year, sources said, adding investigation is on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets