Trial in nun rape case resumes
Cuttack: A witness today gave a different
version of events in the rape of Catholic nun in Orissa`s
Kandhamal during rioting on August 25, 2008 as the second
phase of the deposition began at the Cuttack sessions court
The witness Debadutta Naik, a local farmer, who had
earlier been examined by a court in Kandhamal said that
he was present when a mob had attacked the Baliguda Catholic
Church on the day.
In his deposition he said that a mob of about 50 to 60
youths attacked the church shouting pro-Hindu slogans and
manhandled the priest and a nun after the killing of VHP
leader Laxmanananda Saraswati.
Naik said that he saw after some time the priest and
the nun being paraded on the road with their hands folded and
a mob shouting slogans.
The nun had injury marks on her face, while her body
was covered with a cloth, Naik said.
During cross-examination by the defense counsel, the
witness admitted that he had not spoken the truth at the
Defense Counsel Ajit Patnaik said a case against the
witness Naik would be filed under section 193 of IPC for
giving false affidavit to the court.
In the Kandhamal court naik had said that he was not
The hearing will continue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez