Tribal sarpanch killed by Maoists in Odisha
Malkangiri: A tribal Sarpanch was killed by Maoists in Odisha`s Malkangiri district as the ultras apparently suspected him of being a police informer, police said Friday.
A group of armed maoists struck at the house of Soumendra Beti, Sarpanch of Materu gram panchayat in Padia area, about 40 km from here, and took him away late last night, Sub-Divisional Police officer Siba Subramanium said.=
The body of Beti, aged around 40 years, was found by villagers in a nearby forest this morning, he said, adding that the body bore bullet marks.
Though investigation is on to ascertain the exact reason behind the killing, the red rebels appeared to have killed the Sarpanch as they suspected him to be operating as an informer for the police, sources said, adding that the killers were suspected to have sneaked in from Chhattisgarh.
Statements of Beti had recently been recorded by a team of National Investigation Agency (NIA) in connection with their probe into the attack by Maoists on a Congress convoy in May this year in Chhattisgarh, they said.
The assailants apparently suspected that the Sarpanch might have passed on some vital information about their activities and movements in the region to NIA as well as police, they added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels