Tribal woman shot dead by unidentified assailants in Odisha
Baripada: A tribal woman was shot dead by unidentified assailants in Odisha`s Mayurbhanj district today, police said here.
Two motorbike borne masked youths fired three rounds from close range at Singo Majhi (55) when she was selling `Handia`, a local brew, near Chhanua railway station, DSP, Crime, Mayurbhanj, Binay Krushna Kamila said.
She died on the spot and the attackers fled the scene after committing the crime, Kamila said adding Singo belonged to nearby Barjemara village and used to sell `Handia` near the railway station every day.
Though the reason behind the incident was yet to be established, police suspected that it could be a case of land dispute or witchcraft.
Chhanua railway station is located on the Jamshedpur-Badampahar railway section under Chakradharpur division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand