Tribals attack excise raid party
Berhampur: At least seven excise
and police personnel were injured and six government vehicles
damaged after armed tribals attacked the personnel at
Guhariapata in Ganjam district on Friday.
A team comprising excise and police personnel were
returing after conducting a raid in the village when they
faced the wrath of armed villagers including women.
Around 200 personnel including two battalions of
police forces, besides senior excise officials including
Superintendent BN Dhal were part the team.
During the raids, the team had seized at least three
truckloads of materials being used for liquor manufacture
including urea, ammonia nitrate and molasses, the sources
Sub-divisional Police Officer, Chhatrapur, who was part
the team, said the tribals attacked them with bows and arrows
and pelted stones while they were returing after the raid. ?We
were not in a position of counter-attack?, he said.
At least three persons, including two women were
arrested, police said.
The injured persons were being treated at nearby
hospital at Khallikote while a police constable was shifted to
MKCG Medical College Hospital here in serious condition, he
Senior police officers including SP (Ganjam) Rajesh
Pandit went to Khallikote.
It was for the second time in last three days that the
police and excise personnel faced opposition in Khalikote
block. Some excise officials were detained by the villagers at
Badarampalli village as they were in a raid party to bust the
illegal liquor manufacturing units earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory