Tribals attack excise raid party
Berhampur: At least seven excise
and police personnel were injured and six government vehicles
damaged after armed tribals attacked the personnel at
Guhariapata in Ganjam district on Friday.
A team comprising excise and police personnel were
returing after conducting a raid in the village when they
faced the wrath of armed villagers including women.
Around 200 personnel including two battalions of
police forces, besides senior excise officials including
Superintendent BN Dhal were part the team.
During the raids, the team had seized at least three
truckloads of materials being used for liquor manufacture
including urea, ammonia nitrate and molasses, the sources
Sub-divisional Police Officer, Chhatrapur, who was part
the team, said the tribals attacked them with bows and arrows
and pelted stones while they were returing after the raid. ?We
were not in a position of counter-attack?, he said.
At least three persons, including two women were
arrested, police said.
The injured persons were being treated at nearby
hospital at Khallikote while a police constable was shifted to
MKCG Medical College Hospital here in serious condition, he
Senior police officers including SP (Ganjam) Rajesh
Pandit went to Khallikote.
It was for the second time in last three days that the
police and excise personnel faced opposition in Khalikote
block. Some excise officials were detained by the villagers at
Badarampalli village as they were in a raid party to bust the
illegal liquor manufacturing units earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?