Tribals protest alleged gang rape, murder of woman in Odisha
Malkangiri: Demanding a CBI probe into the alleged gang rape and murder of a tribal woman, tribal members of political parties on Sunday demonstrated outside the residence of the Malkangiri collector here.
Alleging that the victim`s husband was behind the crime along with three of his friends on November 24 at Kudumulguma in the Orkel police station area, they accused police of trying to suppress the incident.
In a memorandum to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik through Collector M Muthukumar, the protesters alleged that S Ray had married the woman about five years ago and perpetrated on her physical and mental torture.
Ray, along with his three friends, had repeatedly raped her on November 24 and administered poison after tying her legs and hands, the memorandum alleged, adding she was then taken to the public health centre at Kudumulguma in a serious condition and died soon after.
Instead of conducting post-mortem, the body was sent to her parental place Bandiguda for burial, it claimed.
The memorandum demanding a CBI probe into the incident alleged that the FIR filed by the sister and mother of the victim was not accepted at the Orkel police station. Instead, police had taken thumb impression of her mother.
After the inspector in-charge of the police station ignored their request to conduct post-mortem or register a case, the leaders approached the sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) after which an inquest was done on November 27 digging out the body.
Denying any laxity, police said a case was registered on November 26 and efforts were on to nab the husband of the victim, who was absconding after the incident.
Signatories to the memorandum included zilla parishad chairperson Padmini Muduli of BJD, ex-chairman Manas Madkami of BJD and ex-zilla parishad chairman Ganghdar Buruda of Congress besides many district, block and panchayat level people`s representatives.
After the Collector promised prompt action if culpability was established, the protesters said they would withdraw the agitation, but would resume unless action was taken against the guilty within seven days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price