Turmoil in Odisha assembly, Cong MLAs capture speaker`s podium
Bhubaneswar: Odisha assembly plunged into turmoil on the concluding day of the winter session Saturday with opposition Congress members virtually capturing the speaker`s podium, breaking his mike and calling Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik a `dictator`.
Congress was on the offensive as soon as the house assembled for the day as its members vented their anger against Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat who rejected an adjournment notice on the farmers issue.
Amat, who had for the last two days refused to accept opposition`s notices, also rejected the adjournment notice given by Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan.
The issue was raised by leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh as soon as the question hour began while the party MLAs rushed to the well holding banners demanding bonus on paddy procurement and hike in its minimum support price.
While Congress MLAs were shouting slogans in the well, three of them - Nihar Mahananda, Jogesh Singh and Dusmant Nayak - climbed on the speaker`s podium and lied on the desk.
They threw papers on the Speaker`s desk while another member scuffled with marshals on the podium.
Unable to restore normalcy, the Speaker adjourned the house till 12.30 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley