Turmoil in Odisha assembly, Cong MLAs capture speaker`s podium
Bhubaneswar: Odisha assembly plunged into turmoil on the concluding day of the winter session Saturday with opposition Congress members virtually capturing the speaker`s podium, breaking his mike and calling Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik a `dictator`.
Congress was on the offensive as soon as the house assembled for the day as its members vented their anger against Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat who rejected an adjournment notice on the farmers issue.
Amat, who had for the last two days refused to accept opposition`s notices, also rejected the adjournment notice given by Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan.
The issue was raised by leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh as soon as the question hour began while the party MLAs rushed to the well holding banners demanding bonus on paddy procurement and hike in its minimum support price.
While Congress MLAs were shouting slogans in the well, three of them - Nihar Mahananda, Jogesh Singh and Dusmant Nayak - climbed on the speaker`s podium and lied on the desk.
They threw papers on the Speaker`s desk while another member scuffled with marshals on the podium.
Unable to restore normalcy, the Speaker adjourned the house till 12.30 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket