Turmoil in Odisha assembly, Cong MLAs capture speaker`s podium
Bhubaneswar: Odisha assembly plunged into turmoil on the concluding day of the winter session Saturday with opposition Congress members virtually capturing the speaker`s podium, breaking his mike and calling Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik a `dictator`.
Congress was on the offensive as soon as the house assembled for the day as its members vented their anger against Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat who rejected an adjournment notice on the farmers issue.
Amat, who had for the last two days refused to accept opposition`s notices, also rejected the adjournment notice given by Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan.
The issue was raised by leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh as soon as the question hour began while the party MLAs rushed to the well holding banners demanding bonus on paddy procurement and hike in its minimum support price.
While Congress MLAs were shouting slogans in the well, three of them - Nihar Mahananda, Jogesh Singh and Dusmant Nayak - climbed on the speaker`s podium and lied on the desk.
They threw papers on the Speaker`s desk while another member scuffled with marshals on the podium.
Unable to restore normalcy, the Speaker adjourned the house till 12.30 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000