Turmoil in Odisha assembly, Cong MLAs capture speaker`s podium
Bhubaneswar: Odisha assembly plunged into turmoil on the concluding day of the winter session Saturday with opposition Congress members virtually capturing the speaker`s podium, breaking his mike and calling Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik a `dictator`.
Congress was on the offensive as soon as the house assembled for the day as its members vented their anger against Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat who rejected an adjournment notice on the farmers issue.
Amat, who had for the last two days refused to accept opposition`s notices, also rejected the adjournment notice given by Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan.
The issue was raised by leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh as soon as the question hour began while the party MLAs rushed to the well holding banners demanding bonus on paddy procurement and hike in its minimum support price.
While Congress MLAs were shouting slogans in the well, three of them - Nihar Mahananda, Jogesh Singh and Dusmant Nayak - climbed on the speaker`s podium and lied on the desk.
They threw papers on the Speaker`s desk while another member scuffled with marshals on the podium.
Unable to restore normalcy, the Speaker adjourned the house till 12.30 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love