Twelve minors rescued in Ganjam
Berhampur: Twelve minors, working as labourers in various garages, hotels, bars and eateries in and around Chhatrapur in Ganjam district of Odisha, have been rescued.
Officials of district labour office, Chhatrapur, child welfare committee (CWC), Ganjam, child protection unit and campaigners of Childline, Berhampur, along with police conducted raids on various places at Pokadibandh and Chhatrapur and rescued the children yesterday.
While five of them are below 14 years, seven are in the 14-18 year age group, said District Labour Officer (DLO) Venu Gopal Rao. One of the rescued children is from Gajapati district while others are from Ganjam.
The rescued children would be produced before the CWC after proper counselling by campaigners of the Childline. The CWC would then take a call on the children, said district child protection officer S K Sarangi. Now the rescued children are in the custody of Childline.
"We will issue show-cause notice to employers for engaging the minors as labourers. Legal action would be taken against them after they reply to the notice," the DLO said.
Last month, officials and child rights campaigners had rescued 17 children working in different garages and hotels in Berhampur.
State unit convener of NGO Campaign Against Child Labour, Sudhir Sabat has urged the government to formulate an action plan for proper rehabilitation of child labourers.
The rescued children might end up as child labourers again if they are handed over to their parents without proper rehabilitation, Sabat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm