Twelve minors rescued in Ganjam
Berhampur: Twelve minors, working as labourers in various garages, hotels, bars and eateries in and around Chhatrapur in Ganjam district of Odisha, have been rescued.
Officials of district labour office, Chhatrapur, child welfare committee (CWC), Ganjam, child protection unit and campaigners of Childline, Berhampur, along with police conducted raids on various places at Pokadibandh and Chhatrapur and rescued the children yesterday.
While five of them are below 14 years, seven are in the 14-18 year age group, said District Labour Officer (DLO) Venu Gopal Rao. One of the rescued children is from Gajapati district while others are from Ganjam.
The rescued children would be produced before the CWC after proper counselling by campaigners of the Childline. The CWC would then take a call on the children, said district child protection officer S K Sarangi. Now the rescued children are in the custody of Childline.
"We will issue show-cause notice to employers for engaging the minors as labourers. Legal action would be taken against them after they reply to the notice," the DLO said.
Last month, officials and child rights campaigners had rescued 17 children working in different garages and hotels in Berhampur.
State unit convener of NGO Campaign Against Child Labour, Sudhir Sabat has urged the government to formulate an action plan for proper rehabilitation of child labourers.
The rescued children might end up as child labourers again if they are handed over to their parents without proper rehabilitation, Sabat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what