Twenty fishermen held for fishing in reserved zone
Kendrapara: Forest department officials have taken into custody 20 marine fishermen of West
Bengal after intercepting a couple of fishing trawlers near Satabhaya coast off the prohibited Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary in Odisha.
The marine fishermen were from Digha coast of the neighbouring state.
After being arrested, they were sent to judicial custody under the provisions of Wildlife Protection Act 1972 and Orissa Marine Fishing Regulation Act 1982 yesterday.
Sea patrolling has been stepped up within Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary water territory in view of the annual mass nesting season of the endangered Olive Ridley turtles.
The arrested fishermen were spotted illegally fishing along the prohibited coastal water territory on two trawlers, official sources said.
Apart from 500 kg of fish and fishing implements, VHF sets and other navigation instruments were seized from them.
The operation to stop unlawful trawling to ensure the safety of Olive Ridley turtles is being jointly conducted by coast guard, forest, police and fisheries department after the marine animals began their annual breeding in November 2011.
These delicate marine species are expected to invade the beach to lay eggs, a unique natural phenomenon otherwise described as Arribada, in a month`s time.
"The turtle surveillance patrols spotted the vessels near Satabhaya off Gahirmatha coast. The crew members surrendered without offering resistance`, Manoj Kumar Mahapatra,
Divisional Forest Officer, Rajnagar Mangrove (wildlife) Forest
Odisha government imposes a ban on fishing activities along a 20 km stretch of Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary from 1 November every year. The ban continues till the turtles nest
and the hatchlings crawl back to sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi