Twenty fishermen held for fishing in reserved zone
Kendrapara: Forest department officials have taken into custody 20 marine fishermen of West
Bengal after intercepting a couple of fishing trawlers near Satabhaya coast off the prohibited Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary in Odisha.
The marine fishermen were from Digha coast of the neighbouring state.
After being arrested, they were sent to judicial custody under the provisions of Wildlife Protection Act 1972 and Orissa Marine Fishing Regulation Act 1982 yesterday.
Sea patrolling has been stepped up within Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary water territory in view of the annual mass nesting season of the endangered Olive Ridley turtles.
The arrested fishermen were spotted illegally fishing along the prohibited coastal water territory on two trawlers, official sources said.
Apart from 500 kg of fish and fishing implements, VHF sets and other navigation instruments were seized from them.
The operation to stop unlawful trawling to ensure the safety of Olive Ridley turtles is being jointly conducted by coast guard, forest, police and fisheries department after the marine animals began their annual breeding in November 2011.
These delicate marine species are expected to invade the beach to lay eggs, a unique natural phenomenon otherwise described as Arribada, in a month`s time.
"The turtle surveillance patrols spotted the vessels near Satabhaya off Gahirmatha coast. The crew members surrendered without offering resistance`, Manoj Kumar Mahapatra,
Divisional Forest Officer, Rajnagar Mangrove (wildlife) Forest
Odisha government imposes a ban on fishing activities along a 20 km stretch of Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary from 1 November every year. The ban continues till the turtles nest
and the hatchlings crawl back to sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter