Two arrested for smuggling chameleons
Kendrapara: Two persons were arrested today for smuggling exotic species of Indian chameleons at a village in Kendrapara district.
The two, Pratap Behera of Bahakuda and Abhik Sardar of Badatubi village, were arrested with the chameleons at Jaira village under Mahakalapada forest range, forest range officer Bijaya Parida said.
They were charged under sections 9, 12 and 29 of Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
They were produced in the court of Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate Madhumita Mohanty who remanded to jail custody.
The chameleons are protected under the International Trade in Endangered Species Act and Indian Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
The chameleons were released back in the wild.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman