Two arrested for smuggling chameleons
Kendrapara: Two persons were arrested today for smuggling exotic species of Indian chameleons at a village in Kendrapara district.
The two, Pratap Behera of Bahakuda and Abhik Sardar of Badatubi village, were arrested with the chameleons at Jaira village under Mahakalapada forest range, forest range officer Bijaya Parida said.
They were charged under sections 9, 12 and 29 of Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
They were produced in the court of Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate Madhumita Mohanty who remanded to jail custody.
The chameleons are protected under the International Trade in Endangered Species Act and Indian Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
The chameleons were released back in the wild.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah