Two arrested in Odisha HSC exam question theft case
Cuttack: Rushing to meet the Orissa High Court deadline, the crime branch police on Friday arrested two persons in connection with the annual High School Certificate (HSC) examination-2012 question paper theft case.
Sources said police are likely to file the final report in the case at a court in Puri district very soon.
While the high court on September 6 had asked the police to file the final report in the case within 40 days, the crime branch`s arrest of two persons came just four days before the HC deadline expires.
According to crime branch sources, two peons of Bajapur Bhagavati Vidyapeetha of Puri district were arrested for "dereliction" of duties and were forwarded to court from where they were remanded to jail custody after their bail applications were rejected by the Nimapada JMFC court.
A senior officer of the crime branch said Patitapaban Chand and Rohit Bhoi were arrested under Orissa Conduct of Examination Act, 1985.
On September 6, the state high court while expressing concern over the crime branch sleuths` failure in detecting the case, had directed the police to expedite the investigation and file the final report of the case in the appropriate court within 40 days.
After it was found that some question papers of this year`s matriculation examination were stolen from the Puri examination centre on March 21, just two days after the exams began on March 19, the state crime branch police were entrusted to investigate into the case.
It took nearly seven months and a nudge from the high court for the elite police to make some headway into the case. Although crime branch police have arrested the peon duo, the police are yet to establish that the two were remotely involved in stealing the question papers.
At least 4.5 lakh examinees had written the state matriculation exams this year which ended on April 27, nearly 40 days after it began. The state government had to reschedule the examination which cost an additional Rs two crore to the exchequer.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata