Two artillery shells found near Balasore
Balasore: Two artillery shells were recovered from a pond near Balasore town and taken to a safe place for examination by a bomb disposal squad of the Odisha Police today.
The shells measuring about two and a half feet long and weighing 25 kgs were seen by some children while playing near the pond and the locals informed the police about the matter last evening.
The Proof and Experimental Establishment authorities at Chandipur, who conduct artillery tests from time to time, and bomb disposal squad of state police were sent for removal of the abandoned shells.
Some shells used for testing purpose by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) labs at Chandipur near here for evaluating various parameters were believed to have been left uncollected by them and later retrieved by some unscrupulous scrap dealers to extract valuable metals like brass, lead, copper and steel, police said.
In 2002, eight people were killed near Chandipur while trying to extract metals from abandoned shells after an explosion took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why