Two artillery shells found near Balasore
Balasore: Two artillery shells were recovered from a pond near Balasore town and taken to a safe place for examination by a bomb disposal squad of the Odisha Police today.
The shells measuring about two and a half feet long and weighing 25 kgs were seen by some children while playing near the pond and the locals informed the police about the matter last evening.
The Proof and Experimental Establishment authorities at Chandipur, who conduct artillery tests from time to time, and bomb disposal squad of state police were sent for removal of the abandoned shells.
Some shells used for testing purpose by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) labs at Chandipur near here for evaluating various parameters were believed to have been left uncollected by them and later retrieved by some unscrupulous scrap dealers to extract valuable metals like brass, lead, copper and steel, police said.
In 2002, eight people were killed near Chandipur while trying to extract metals from abandoned shells after an explosion took place.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India