Two artillery shells found near Balasore
Balasore: Two artillery shells were recovered from a pond near Balasore town and taken to a safe place for examination by a bomb disposal squad of the Odisha Police today.
The shells measuring about two and a half feet long and weighing 25 kgs were seen by some children while playing near the pond and the locals informed the police about the matter last evening.
The Proof and Experimental Establishment authorities at Chandipur, who conduct artillery tests from time to time, and bomb disposal squad of state police were sent for removal of the abandoned shells.
Some shells used for testing purpose by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) labs at Chandipur near here for evaluating various parameters were believed to have been left uncollected by them and later retrieved by some unscrupulous scrap dealers to extract valuable metals like brass, lead, copper and steel, police said.
In 2002, eight people were killed near Chandipur while trying to extract metals from abandoned shells after an explosion took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?