Two blackbucks found dead in Odisha
Berhampur: Two blackbucks were found dead in Bhetanai area under Aska forest range in Ganjam district, forest officials said on Saturday.
While carcass of one one-and-half year old female blackbuck was recovered from near Bhetanai village today, another of a two-year-old male antelope near the same area yesterday.
Forest range officer (Aska) NC Dora said "The blackbuck which was found dead on Friday was suspected to have succumbed to infighting. The other one died in a road accident today."
However, he said the exact cause of the death could be ascertained only after getting the postmortem reports.
Aska and Buguda areas together in the district are considered the as biggest habitat of blackbuck in the country.
According to the census in July 2011, there were 2,181 blackbucks in Aska, Buguda, Polasara, Khallikote and Berhampur forest ranges, as compared to 1,672 in 2008.
During July and August, blackbucks generally come out to the open spaces due to rains making them prey to infighting and road accidents, Dora said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32