Two Congress leaders join BJP in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Senior Congress leader and former minister Ramakrushna Patnaik today joined BJP along with his ex-MP wife Kumudini Patnaik and daughter Anita.
"I have quit Congress after being influenced by Narendra Modi`s call," Patnaik, who is often described as the "Ganjam Tiger", said while senior BJP leader Biswabhusan Harichandan welcomed him and his family members into the party fold.
Patnaik, who was a minister in the council of ministers of both Biju Patnaik and Naveen Patnaik, had quit BJD in 2004 and joined Congress before the general elections.
He was the minister of finance and agriculture in the BJD government from 2000 to 2004. A five-time legislator from Kodala Assembly in Ganjam district, Patnaik had significant influence in Ganjam, the home district of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Patnaik`s wife Kumudini was elected to Lok Sabha from Aska and his daughter Anita is a new entrant in politics. Maharaj of Kalahandi Udit Pratap Deb and his wife Padma Manjari Deo also formally joined the BJP.
Meanwhile, former deputy mayor of Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) BJP`s Urmila Mohapatra joined the BJD in presence of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray