Two dacoits arrested after police encounter
Sambalpur: Two members of a dacoit gang were arrested on Saturday after being shot at by the
police in an encounter here.
A dacoit gang of five members first took away a car at gun-point at Padhanpalli under Sasan police station area and then looted Rs 15,000 from a filling station at Ganesh Nagar after midnight, police said.
On a tip off, police chased the vehicle and stopped it at Camp Hirakud when five of its occupants jumped out of the car and allegedly opened fire at the police party, they said.
In retaliation, the policemen counter fired in which two dacoits, identified as Basudev Naik and Dipak Kumar Bari, sustained bullet injury in their legs.
However, three others managed to flee the spot in the garb of darkness, police said.
The stolen car, a cash of Rs 7,170, two pistols, one revolver, four live cartridges, other arms and six mobile
phone sets were seized from the dacoits.
The gang is suspected to have been involved in more such crimes in Orissa, the sources said adding separate cases were registered under various sections of Arms Act at Sasan, Rengali and Hirakud police stations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site