Two die during rath yatra in Puri
Puri: At least two persons, including a woman, died during Lord Jagannath`s car festival on Thursday, official sources said.
While a 32-year-old woman identified as K Rabana Amma of Waltier in Andhra Pradesh died on the way to hospital, the district headquarters hospital here received the body of another 65-year-old man.
"The woman died on way to hospital. She had chest pain. Her death has nothing to do with the festival," Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) Gyanedra Kumar Sahu said.
The CDMO said the volunteers brought the body of an unidentified person, aged about 65 years from the crowd, near the chariot of Lord Balabhadra.
Though several devotees claimed that the man died due to a stampede like situation, District Collector of Puri Arabinda Agarwal denied the allegation. "There is no stampede so far," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai