Two die during rath yatra in Puri
Puri: At least two persons, including a woman, died during Lord Jagannath`s car festival on Thursday, official sources said.
While a 32-year-old woman identified as K Rabana Amma of Waltier in Andhra Pradesh died on the way to hospital, the district headquarters hospital here received the body of another 65-year-old man.
"The woman died on way to hospital. She had chest pain. Her death has nothing to do with the festival," Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) Gyanedra Kumar Sahu said.
The CDMO said the volunteers brought the body of an unidentified person, aged about 65 years from the crowd, near the chariot of Lord Balabhadra.
Though several devotees claimed that the man died due to a stampede like situation, District Collector of Puri Arabinda Agarwal denied the allegation. "There is no stampede so far," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof