Two die during rath yatra in Puri
Puri: At least two persons, including a woman, died during Lord Jagannath`s car festival on Thursday, official sources said.
While a 32-year-old woman identified as K Rabana Amma of Waltier in Andhra Pradesh died on the way to hospital, the district headquarters hospital here received the body of another 65-year-old man.
"The woman died on way to hospital. She had chest pain. Her death has nothing to do with the festival," Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) Gyanedra Kumar Sahu said.
The CDMO said the volunteers brought the body of an unidentified person, aged about 65 years from the crowd, near the chariot of Lord Balabhadra.
Though several devotees claimed that the man died due to a stampede like situation, District Collector of Puri Arabinda Agarwal denied the allegation. "There is no stampede so far," he claimed.
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state
- SC, ST promotions: Shivraj Singh-led government to move Supreme Court
- Bombed Brussels airport departure hall to reopen today