Two die during rath yatra in Puri
Puri: At least two persons, including a woman, died during Lord Jagannath`s car festival on Thursday, official sources said.
While a 32-year-old woman identified as K Rabana Amma of Waltier in Andhra Pradesh died on the way to hospital, the district headquarters hospital here received the body of another 65-year-old man.
"The woman died on way to hospital. She had chest pain. Her death has nothing to do with the festival," Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) Gyanedra Kumar Sahu said.
The CDMO said the volunteers brought the body of an unidentified person, aged about 65 years from the crowd, near the chariot of Lord Balabhadra.
Though several devotees claimed that the man died due to a stampede like situation, District Collector of Puri Arabinda Agarwal denied the allegation. "There is no stampede so far," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy