Two earthquakes rock Northeast, Odisha: Eight-yr-old child killed
Guwahati: An eight-year-old child was killed in a mudslide in Assam on Tuesday as two earthquakes jolted the state along with other northeastern states and Odisha.
Three children, who had gone for fishing in river Beki at Kalgasia village in Assam`s Barpeta district, were swept into the waters by the mudslide during the first tremor, official sources said.
While Jehirul Nessa (8) drowned, the other two Moidul Islam and Kamala Khatun were rescued and admitted to the hospital.
The first tremor measuring 4.6 on the Richter scale was felt at 6:53 am in Assam and the neighbouring states of Meghalaya, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur, according to the Regional Seismological Centre in Shillong.
The tremor was located at latitude 26.3 degree North and 92.0 degree East with its epicentre at a depth of 16 km in Assam`s Darrang district.
The second quake of moderate intensity measuring 5.0 struck at 2:04 pm at a depth of 10 km at latitude 29.0 degree North and Longitude 95.0 degree East on the India-China border in Arunachal Pradesh, the met centre said.
In Odisha, the tremor occurred at 8:36 am in Puri district with its epicentre at about 40 km from the seismological observatory at Bhubaneswar, the Meteorological Centre said.
The earthquake was felt in Astaran and nearby areas in the district, but no casualty was reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Subramanian Swamy moves SC for urgent hearing on plea against ban on CSK
- Leander Paes, Andre Begemann knock out top seeds in ATP Winston-Salem Open
- Zoya Akhtar open to directing limited series for TV
- Pak politician from ruling PML-N says poor born to serve the rich, draws flak
- RESPECT! Rio silver medallist sells medal for 3-year-old cancer patient; Harbhajan Singh overawed